Friday, April 18, 2008

Momentus Calamity and Madness Abounds.














Last night I was stunned by what seemed to be a rumor of both ridiculous and Homeric proportions. It seemed that a new Mortal Kombat game was looming on the horizon, but rumor had it that a cross-over was imminent. With DC. Detective. Comics.

The image displayed at the time was an obvious photoshop, with a familiar MK character on the left and a blacked-out Superman profile on the right. The great Gods would not allow such a convergence of my childhood nostalgia, I thought quietly to myself while ignoring the hope which welled in my soul. It is impossible. Fatalities cannot be reconciled with the likes of Truth and Justice. Little Bruce Wayne's promise to his parents is not honored by murder, especially in a tournament atmosphere.

As has been reported with much vigor on a slow news day, an earthquake struck in Illinois today which had far-reaching effects as far north as Milwaukee. I was caught unaware of the event, slumbering through the 4 a.m. occurrence with visions of Batman-plums dancing in my head.

As a child of the Midwest I have been told often of the possibility of earthquake. For generations, youth in the region have been warned that "the big one" was imminent and once again the "Mississippi would run backward" given the force of the coming devastation.

At 5.2 on the Richter scale, my mattress was plenty soft to shield me from the mild vibrations. It was not until I woke that the true magnitude of the event shook me like so many cerebral aftershocks.

The motive behind the anger of the Gods revealed itself, springing forth from computer monitor not at all devoid of a thunderous rage. Indeed, the dark alliance of my two childhood obsessions has come to creation, and thus inspired wrath from above.

This development of providence brings about a new age of reason in a world so lacking. Why bother to continue development of sub-par titles in Batman and Mortal Kombat flavors, despite the very substance of the games never growing from their 8- and 16-bit counterparts respectively? Instead, combine the best of the two franchises and remove the glass ceilings which has held each back.

In forthcoming posts I will analyze where each franchise has gone wrong. Later, I will conclude with a discourse on the coming Mortal Kombat Online, and what it means for Mortal Kombat, Detective Comics, gamers, and the industry.

No comments: